YouView is obsessed with finding new ways to transform and improve the daily viewing experience of UK audiences. Launched in 2012, we are a joint venture between BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, BT, TalkTalk and Arqiva – some of the UK’s leading media businesses. We’ve already unlocked a world of content and services for over two and a half million households, combining Live TV and On Demand with cutting edge technology to bring our viewers the most brilliantly simple way to find and watch the TV they love.
We are growing. We’re exploring ways to enhance TV viewing, participation, and content discovery on the increasing diversity of devices used by our users – both in, and out of the home.
We are looking for Full stack engineers and cross platform developers to join our expanding software team. As part of YouView’s Third-Party Platforms Group you will design, develop, and deliver compelling first- and second-screen applications that enhance and complement the YouView experience for our users, wherever they are.
The focus of the role is on designing and developing features that are driven from back-end micro-services in AWS with UIs deployed to to a cross-platform device eco-system: TVs, STBs and dongles, Mobile and wearables running Android, iOS, and embedded HTML/JS web-browsers.
This role would suit someone with cross-platform development experience, with a broad technology skill base and willing to move between technologies.
You’ll have the opportunity to work on various aspects of the software solution, application and device architecture, network protocol design, API design, feature delivery, defect fixing, and optimisation.
A practical understanding of the development practices that contribute to software quality is essential. (Test automation, Unit testing, testdriven development, version control, continuous integration, continuous delivery, code and design review)
We are looking for highly motivated developers, with strong problem-solving skills, and a curiosity for technology. You should enjoy working in a small team environment, with an agile mind-set. You should be able to work with all technical disciplines throughout our software team to contribute to the development of the YouView platform on our backend systems and front-end application deployments. You will have an enthusiasm to use your technical insight to inform and collaborate in our cross-functional teams and with our partners, to build dynamic, data rich, personal and relevant services and devices to enhance the YouView TV experience.
You should also bring your broad technical knowledge of complementary technologies. You’ll have the opportunity to work on designs and implementations that interact with YouView’s data-rich cloud infrastructure (REST, AWS, Node, micro-services), front-end web technologies (), and our embedded set-top boxes and TVs, (Linux, Python, bash).
- Creation of event-driven CQRS micro-services using Node.js, clojure, deployed to AWS,
- Experience developing within one or more architectural approaches that support backend-for-front end, and cross platform development
- Server-to-server integration with OAuth providers, Open-ID, Apple iCloud, Google Cloud APIs
- AWS data, persistence, and compute services, S3, Dynamo, Cloudwatch, EC2, lambda, docker.
- CI and CD tooling using infrastructure as code
- TDD and BDD, using Ruby and Python, bash and linux.
- Network protocols and network security, including discovery and push technologies, (REST, HTTPS, HTTP/2, Web sockets, Zeroconf, authentication, OAuth, GCM, APN)
- Knowledge of the technology that supports mobile video (DRM, HLS, MPEG-DASH) is beneficial.
- Good communication skills, with a preference for communicating progress through demonstration of working code, and production of appropriate documentation for a technical audience.