We have an exciting new opportunity for an Android Mobile Developer to join our expanding Mobile Development department reporting directly to the Head of Mobile. This new role is ideal for an experienced Android developer who is interested in developing compelling mobile applications that enhance TV viewing, participation, and content discovery experience for YouView’s customers.
We are looking for a candidate who has experience in designing, developing and releasing several Android applications and would like to contribute to creating first class mobile user-interfaces, well-designed client libraries, and performant web services.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate technical proficiency across a significant part of the Android framework and common third-party libraries. They will have the capability to identify common design patterns and Android APIs used in building mobile clients and show good taste in selecting solutions to problems. They will be able to articulate the rationale for design choices to a technical audience. The candidate will have an awareness of the challenges specific to mobile software development, and understand the strengths and limits of the Android platform.
The successful candidate’s main responsibilities will include:
- Design, implementation, and testing of Android applications to product and UX specification, maintaining code quality
- Component and API design supporting clean separation of UI presentation layers and testable client-side services. Produce appropriate documentation for a technical audience.
- Work with other developers to create solutions that support system interactions with networked TVs and STBs, and data rich web services
- Network and UI performance optimisation
- Support the team’s development, test and release cycle
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following behaviours:
- Good teamwork in a small team environment, with a preference for communicating progress through demonstration of working code.
- Attention to detail and initiative in problem solving
- Articulate, enthusiastic about mobile and digital TV
- 3+ years working with the Android SDK
- Solid OO design and development experience
- Proficiency with HTTP stack, and web services.
- Experience implementing dynamic, smooth, mobile UIs, presenting real-time data
- Experience with Android TCP networking stack
- Experience delivering Android applications to multiple form-factors and devices
- Use of Source control (git), continuous integration, and testing techniques
- Identify common development patterns across two or more mobile platforms and APIs
- Understanding of network protocols and network security and Wireshark
- MVC, multithreaded programming, asynchronous programming, design patterns