Do you want to join a highly performing agile team whose platform is democratising global surgery? We are looking for someone with a real passion for mobile development to join us. You will be helping implement features into our Android platform and also assist with maintenance across the whole codebase. You will be exposed to UI, networking, data persistence as well as opportunities to work on our simulation engine.
Touch Surgery is a technology start-up, headquartered in Clerkenwell, London. Founded by 4 surgeons and funded led by Balderton Capital, Touch Surgery is transforming professional healthcare training through software products, delivering a unique connected platform linking mobile apps with a powerful data back-end.
The existing iOS and Android apps have garnered rave reviews from US healthcare institutions and media including TechCrunch, The Guardian and the FT, and the platform is already generating substantial revenues, with over 1 million downloads. The company is now looking to build on this success through a rapid acceleration of product development and associated expansion of the London development team. We have a unique product and are poised to take a world-leading position in a hugely untapped market.
The team environment
The engineering team is a diverse but tight-knit group of dedicated people, working in an agile environment. We constantly reflect on our performance and work to improve processes wherever possible. We take our work seriously, but not ourselves. We have a sense of humour, are approachable, open minded and inclusive. We show respect and interest in each other and greet people with a smile. We are inherently curious. We are always thinking about how our actions can have a bigger impact.
You will have the following responsibilities:
- Write high quality code documentation
- Write solid code
- Shares knowledge of the project with team members
- Fix bugs in all areas of their given specialty
- Drive test efforts forward
- Regularly reviews other team members code and offers suggestions
- Train and mentor junior members of the team
- Architect large systems
- Communicate clearly any technical decision made to that Lead Architect
- Keep track of all known technical debt issues, work with product owner to prioritize them
- Keep the team up to date with new technologies
- Raise impediments with the scrum master
- Keep track of task being worked on and make them visible to people outside of their team
- Suggestions and implement process improvements
- Works closely with product owner to ensure future sprints are planned out properly
- Able to break user requirement down into small deliverable stories
- Ensuring that the team works as a unit to get stories finished in sprint
- Takes responsibility for getting releases out in time with the roadmap
- Line-manage a small number of more junior developers
- Works with leads of other teams to identify bottlenecks and dependencies
- 4 years’ experience in commercial software development
- 1 years’ experience as sole or lead Android developer
- Experience releasing Android apps live on Google Play
- Expert in Java and all common Android frameworks
- Experience with test automation and CI
- Strong knowledge of connected technologies including HTTP, REST, JSON, databases
- Strong knowledge of C++ and Android NDK
- Strong knowledge of version control systems (git, Perforce)
Nice to haves:
- Knowledge of iOS or web development
- Market leading salary and benefits package to attract the best for our scaling company
- Play a significant role in delivery innovation inside a changing industry where your impact will be obvious and genuinely does change people’s’ lives!
- Work in a product with millions of users
- Work with smart yet kind natured folk with a shared purpose to be better at doing good
Touch Surgery is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity through attracting and retaining a complementary team and creating an inclusive environment for all.