Join a massive website, and make a massive impact
Salary: £35k – £55k (according to location and exp.)
Holidays: 34 days (incl. bank holidays)
Location: Our London Euston/Kings X head office, our Folkestone coastal satellite office, or 100% remote
Benefits: Bupa, bonuses and much more… (see below!)
We may be a top ten UK media publisher, our websites loved by millions. Yet despite our huge success, we’ve jealously protected our start-up culture over the past 20 years. Which means today, we’re still a company where everyone who joins us gets to make a massive impact.
Our ethos and news product are well proven, but we know we’ve much more to do to be the best site on the web for those seeking news from all the angles.
That’s why we are now looking for permanent, full-time news algorithm developers, who will work directly with our Founder & CEO developing an entirely new news product for the site, which will eventually replace the site’s homepages.
About the role
You will join our highly-experienced multi-disciplinary engineering team, taking a leading role in one of our biggest projects to date: working to create dynamically-generated live and topical news content digests across a range of subject areas that will engage, inform and entertain and promote critical thinking among our userbase.
You will author content generation algorithms that process article text, taking into account metadata, traffic levels, user ratings, editorial hints and other signals to sift our vast volumes of aggregated news for the best articles to meet our and our users’ needs.
Our engineers don’t just code. At NewsNow, product development is a team sport. You’d be invited to collaborate with the Founder & CEO, and other members of our engineering team, in conceiving the direction of development efforts, researching and designing the product, and ultimately helping specify your own tasks, as your experience develops.
Projects will largely be server-side, and will always comprise results analysis i.e. it will be part of your responsibilities to demonstrate that the developments undertaken have delivered the desired effect. You’ll also be expected to review other’s code, and there will be opportunities to contribute to web development (depending on your skills), and play a role in administering our systems, and keeping NewsNow running 24/7.
You and your skills
For this role you will need:
- Experience of natural language processing, lexical or semantic analysis, lexical datasets (e.g. WordNet, YAGO).
- Experience of data mining, and/or signal analysis and/or machine or cloud learning.
- Experience of developing complex computer software, while retaining a high degree of maintainability.
- Excellent debugging skills.
Our ideal candidate would also have:
- Mathematics / data science / computer science (e.g. statistics, probability, machine learning).
- Familiarity with the Unix command line and bash, dpkg, apt-get and git.
- SQL or MySQL.
- HTML5, CSS3, jQuery.
You’re also someone who:
- Is open to new technologies, but isn’t a slave to them: you relish crafting elegant solutions to hard technical and business problems, using whatever is the best tool for the job.
- Thrives in a small, open and collaborative team, where the best ideas can come from anyone. You’re confident and articulate about what you know and what you don’t.
- Is knowledgeable and passionate about at least one of: current affairs/politics and/or sport/football.
- Lives within a reasonable distance of our London or Folkestone offices, or is comfortable working 100% remotely.
About the company
NewsNow is the UK’s largest independent free-to-web real-time news aggregator. A one-stop shop for news for 15m unique monthly visitors, we aim to be the best site on the web for those seeking news from all the angles. Running stably and profitably since our start in 1997, since 2009 we’ve been experiencing even greater commercial success as an industry leader in programmatic advertising technologies. In February, The Guardian ranked NewsNow among the top ten UK media publishers for news consumed by British people online.
We are always looking for new ways to reward the loyalty of our massive fan-base, and to grow our reach to new people seeking news from all the angles. We are a driver of quality in the news media and today set editorial standards for much of the content we link to.
Our highly experienced multi-disciplinary engineering team can afford to run lean. Our compact set-up lets us keep hierarchy and bureaucracy to a minimum. Which means today, we’re still a company where everyone who joins us gets to make a massive impact. In short, we offer all the excitement and agility of a start-up, but with the stability and benefits of an established business.
NewsNow is also very proud to be the first digital member of the DEC charity’s Rapid Response Network, which helps alert the UK public efficiently to its vital emergency fundraising appeals.
Benefits of working for us include:
- Fully paid Bupa private health insurance
- 34 days paid annual leave (incl. bank holidays)
- Childcare voucher scheme
- NEST pension scheme
- Competitive salary + bonuses
- Choose your location: strategically located offices in London Euston/Kings X, in Folkestone, or 100% remote
- Cycle to work
- Social activities
- Sabbatical proposals considered after 2 years
The deadline for applications is 9am Monday 23 January 2017.