Reporting to: Development Lead
Launched in 2008 with a mission to revolutionise advertising by solving the greatest issue affecting the industry “Ad Skipping”. Mirriad’s patented technology allows brand imagery such as product and signage, to be seamlessly integrated into any digital video stream or file. In doing so it has created a new standard in advertising where brand integration is an affordable, scalable ad unit running in multiple pieces of content. The resulting native in video ads (NIVA) are seamless, authentic, and work across all three screens. In 2013, Mirriad’s chief scientist won an Academy Award for the imaging technology.
Mirriad closed $15 million in financing as of January 2016, led by British venture capital group IP Group Plc, alongside Parkwalk Funds, with a minority investment from Unilever Ventures, the venture capital and private equity arm of Unilever.
Mirriad is rapidly commercialising its award-winning technology platform, and has deals with major content producers and has worked with top video platforms and broadcasters in the worlds largest advertising markets by spend.
The business turned over $1m in 2015, which is set to increase significantly over the coming years with projected sales approaching a run rate of $100m by 2020. Mirriad’s ownership structure includes management and employees, IP Group Plc (who hold a 40% stake) and a number of institutional investors. The business is headquartered in central London, and has offices in New York, Mumbai, and Shanghai, with additional staff located in Seoul and Singapore.
Purpose of Role:
The purpose of this role is to contribute to Mirriad’s new Ad Cloud system as a core component of its platform. To design, develop and deliver key APIs and workflows within the system to enable us to deliver ads at scale using our BPMN workflow engine.
- Design APIs between architectural layers and services to be a part of our microservices architecture
- Develop / Implementing these services primarily in Java
- Routinely delivering high quality code using TDD principles
- Analyse business problem and determine appropriate solution to deliver in the required timeframe
- Collaborate with other developers, QAs, operations and business stakeholders.
- Work in a team and sharing knowledge, being able to Pair Program with developers at different levels. Passionate discussions are encouraged.
- Help to keep our high-availability promises, by careful design and using automated deployment.
Skills, Knowledge and Attributes needed for the role
Education: Degree in Engineering or Computer Science
- API design and implementation
- Test Driven Design in Microservices architecture
- Confident in continuous refactoring and evolutionary design.
- Show initiative, can-do attitude, ideally able to work at different levels on the project, from design, to deployment. Be a self-starter.
- Demonstrate ability to learn, ideally have passion for learning and being able to stay current by her/himself.
- Good knowledge of Java, OOD, TDD, Messaging, Refactoring, Data Store Design, HTTP, Web Applications, ReST Web Services.
- Knowledge of Cloud architectures and patterns, ideally with experience in distributed High Availability systems, AWS based.
- Working knowledge of AWS and Docker
- Knowledge in SQL database queries
- Knowledge of API design and documentation techniques
- Knowledge of working in Unix/Linux Environments
- Experience developing or integrating with video distribution platforms including management of advertising inventory and server side or in stream video advertising solutions
- Experience of more advanced microservices architectures such as Level 3 on the Richardson Maturity Model, Event Sourcing and CQRS would be beneficial.
- Experience and interest in working in media or broadcast on advertising platforms or services for a content owner or agency is a plus.
- BPMN Workflow design experience is a plus
- Experience with defect tracking tools such as JIRA, Bugzilla or similar
- Can demonstrate experience and an interest in digital media applications
- Should have used version control systems, Git/Stash preferentially
- Experience with distributed software systems and AWS is a serious advantage
- Previous startup experience is desirable