We have a fantastic team of people working on a product used by over 10 million people worldwide that makes learning joyful and effortless, leveraging lots of brain science and plenty of humour in the process.
We are looking for a talented senior backend engineer to join our established and growing team of people in our converted chapel in East London to help evolve and scale our category-defining product.
Engineering work at Memrise is in cross-platform teams, with lots of genuine autonomy and the opportunity to work with great technologies. We ship substantial new features weekly, and we’re facing significant scaling challenges alongside the continual bold transformation of the product itself.
This opportunity presents the rare chance to join a near-profitable startup as it scales from millions to tens of millions of active users, and in doing so make a meaningful impact on how people learn around the world.
We like working with people with an eye for quality who enjoy just getting things done. You’re comfortable at all points in the tech stack but an expert at backend, and you love learning new technologies. Collaborating closely with a talented tech team (14 people) and product team (4 people), broad responsibilities will fall on your shoulders as we build some of the most joyful and widely used learning technology in the world.
It would be great if you have some of these:
- Extensive commercial experience working with Python
- Deep knowledge of high-traffic systems and scaling applications with several million monthly active users
- Experience and interest in high-performance systems
- Commercial experience building successful web applications
- Solid, hands-on knowledge of SQL
- Experience working on data pipelines
- A genuine passion for technology, what it can do and how it can be pushed to its limits.
When you work with us, you’ll get to work on:
- Large Django app and supporting services
- MySQL / Redshift / Kinesis / ElasticSearch / Redis
- Services in Python / Go / Java
- Docker / EC2
- Sophisticated data pipelines
- Learning algorithms
If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch immediately. Humility is a wonderful thing and we’re not interested in hiring ‘rockstars’ or ‘ninjas’.
Fresh fruit; coffee and soft drinks. We keep you fuelled with a wide ever-changing variety of healthy and unhealthy snacks, breakfast materials and weekly team lunches. We run frequent hackathons and team expeditions, the last one being a lovely canal cruise in the summer sunshine! We run a cycle to work scheme and a selection of perks and benefits. We also have two cats in the office.