The Senior Automated Test Engineer is responsible for performing a range of system and specialist verification and validation tasks. Responsible for the testing of relatively complex solutions using agile or traditional methodologies. Will provide essential input into requirements capture, test planning and the capture of test metrics. Will research outside of their normal test activities, take an active part in test process improvement and actively share knowledge to others.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE AND CAPABILITIES:
- A minimum of 3 years commercial experience in a testing role.
- Experience of testing in two or more specialist areas and expert in at least one area.
- Sound understanding of different delivery methodologies (E.g., Agile, Waterfall, V- Model)
- Comfortable with testing in an agile environment.
- Ability to create and implement an appropriate test strategy for a project, regardless of the delivery methodology that is being used.
- Capable of producing workable test estimates and have the ability to deliver to these estimates.
- Experience in test design from documented requirements and the ability to identify and manage undocumented requirements.
- Sound understanding of the use of test metrics to provide accurate, meaningful, reporting.
- Sound understanding of techniques for ensuring test coverage and traceability.
- Experience in assessing, prioritising, and managing incidents through to closure.
- Sound understanding of test management and defect tracking tools and good practice in the use of these tools.
- Demonstrate a high level of technical awareness and a sound understanding of software architectures.
- Demonstrable awareness of business environments into which solutions have been delivered.
- Sound understanding and application of quality practices as applied to software testing.
- Can recognize and flag issues outside area of own expertise or responsibility to team leader or manager, as appropriate.
- Ability to communicate with various stakeholders (both technical and non-technical).
- Ability to work well within a team setting, but also capable of working independently with minimal supervision.
- Capable of supervising test staff during project phases as required.
- Capable of working directly with customer to gain acceptance of the software.
- Ability to mentor less experienced team members and lead by example in both technical and non-technical aspects of the job.
- Complies with all confidentiality and non-disclosure policies and/or agreements and ensures security of information at all times.
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE AND CAPABILITIES:
- Comfortable with leading the test activities on a project.
- Experience in test automation, using open-source tools/frameworks (E.g., Selenium-WebDriver, JUnit/TestNG).
- Experience of non-functional testing (E.g., Performance, Security etc.).
- Sound understanding of Exploratory Testing, with experience of implementing an Exploratory Testing approach.
- Affable, credible and can communicate effectively with clients and colleagues.
- Good team player capable of delivering results in less than perfect circumstances.
- Quality focused.
- Highly flexible (including willingness to work away from home base).
- Enthusiastic in the pursuit of duties.
- Proactive and responsible in areas of expertise.
- Proactive with respect to personal development.
- A positive “can do” attitude towards the technical challenges facing Kainos and clients.