Huddle’s Tech Ops team manages our SaaS production systems globally, ensuring that the service is highly available, performant, and totally secure. It provides business-critical infrastructure for our dev teams to support the build/release/deploy pipeline, and all production releases.
As a Senior Systems Engineer joining the team, you will design and implement improvements to our production platform for improved reliability, greater capacity, and higher performance, using a mix of Windows and Linux skills in a variety of hosting environments from managed servers through to cloud-based IaaS. You will work closely with Architecture, Development and QA to enable the smooth delivery of releases, and assist Developers in managing and monitoring their own components. You will support our Agile development cycle by providing internal dev/test rigs, build and deploy services on TeamCity and Octopus, and the supporting services such as GitHub, JIRA and Confluence.
Here’s how you will contribute:
- Lead hands-on engineering projects while providing technical and tactical guidance to other team members
- Enhance our infrastructure to improve security, performance, and scalability of production systems
- Work with the development teams to help them write software with security and operability built-in from the start, and to troubleshoot issues with their code in production
- Support and maintain the production systems: new releases, diagnostics, monitoring and fire-fighting (including on-call cover for urgent issues)
- Keep the development pipeline running smoothly with provisioning of dev/test rigs and reliable TeamCity, Octopus and Chef services, supporting the development lifecycle with JIRA, Confluence and GitHub.
- Use your analytical skills to diagnose complex end-user issues, impressing the customer with responsive and smart customer service
Skills and experience that will help:
- Website operations at scale, preferably public-facing, with a focus on security and high availability, in both dedicated hosting environments and IaaS (e.g. AWS, Azure)
- Building distributed systems using AWS components (EC2 instances, CloudFormation, VPCs, ELBs, Route53, RDS, Elasticache etc)
- Windows, Linux and hypervisor system administration (VMWare, Hyper-V), including automation technologies such as PowerShell DSC and Chef
- Networking and internet technologies (TCP/IP, VPNs, HTTP, AJAX, REST)
- At least one modern scripting language (e.g. PowerShell, Python)
- Products like RabbitMQ, Redis, Event Store, Elastic Search, LogStash, Kibana, and security technologies such as IDS, scanners, SIEM.
- SQL Server administration and T-SQL, SQL clustering and replication, and an appreciation of relational database techniques.
- Experience with firewalls, load balancers, proxies, CDNs.
- Working knowledge of agile development practices and how they are applied in a Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC)
About the team:
We work in a multiskilled team at the heart of Huddle’s engineering process, working side-by-side with Architects, Product Management, Technical Operations, QA Engineers and UX Designers to ensure a consistently top class product is delivered to our customers in a way that is scalable to the business.
At Huddle we have a collaborative jukebox playing in the background, gather around colourful stand up boards and give all of our demos in a massive auditorium.
Huddlers are foodies, sports enthusiasts, video and board gamers, and pub goers. There’s burger club, cheese club, monthly release drinks, team lunches, breakfast on Mondays, lunch on Wednesdays and beer o’clock on Fridays. Our team is from all over the world and we would love for you to join us too!
- Private Medical Insurance and Life Assurance Plans
- Private Pension Plan with up to 3% contribution from Huddle
- 25 days of holiday plus your birthday off each year
- “Huddle Cuddle” – a £500 lifestyle bonus per year as a thank you for your hard work.
- Cool office with kitchen stocked with fruit, snacks and beverages
- Innovation Time between agile sprints to work on self-driven projects
- Work alongside a number of key members of the London .Net User Group and regular presenters on the conference circuit.
- Two days per year to support the Huddle Foundation by dedicating your time to a charity/non-profit
- Corporate gym rates