The online travel market never stands still. The opportunity is huge and the competition is fierce. At Hotels.com, we’re in the thick of it. We live and breathe travel. Our technology team is insanely passionate about using the best technology and processes to give our customers the best possible experience when finding hotels for their business or leisure travel needs. We want them to feel the same passion for travel that we do.
We are currently looking for experienced and highly motivated data engineers to join the Hotels.com Data Engineering team, with a primary focus on Acquisition Marketing.
In this role, you will contribute to the the development of data pipelines on an enterprise-scale Hadoop cluster using technologies such as Hive, Falcon and Oozie, as well as coding in Java and working with relational database systems such as Teradata. You will be part of an agile team, constantly iterating and improving the way we work and deliver new features to the business.
Why build your career at Hotels.com?
- You’ll get to work with some spectacular people both from the technology team and wider business
- You will get to work with massive data sets numbering literally billions of items and approaching a petabyte in total size and opportunities to learn and apply the latest big data technologies on a fast growing Hadoop & Teradata platform.
- You’ll get to join an established company in a period of exploration and growth into cloud-based data solutions
- We work hard to create a supportive, collaborative, and fulfilling place where you can progress your career
- We have many of the best bits of a start-up but with the resources of the world’s biggest travel company
- We love open source and actively participate in the open source community
- We do hackathons where you can branch out of your usual area to contribute something different and innovative
- We host and speak at meet ups
- We want everyone on our team to have the tools and resources to succeed in their career
- We get to do all of this in a lovely, comfortable office in a nice, central part of London
The Data Engineer will work on the development of new and existing data pipelines, turning requirements into a finished technical solution and cooperating effectively with colleagues in both technical and business-facing roles.
- Develop data loading/ ETL processes for the Hotels.com/ Expedia Hadoop environment.
- Write clear, efficient, tested code.
- Develop code as part of a wider team, contributing to code review and solution design
- Provide support and guidance to more junior developers
- Contribute to both program and system architecture as appropriate.
- Contribute to evolution of development standards and design patterns.
- Work with business stakeholders to deliver on requirements in an agile manner.
- Deploy and maintain applications in production environments.
- Communicate and document solutions and design decisions.
Experience and Skills
Essential requirements for the role is strong commercial experience in a data /software engineering role, including substantial use of the following technologies/ tools:
- Java (or other significant OO language with desire to learn Java)
- Commercial experience with Linux, and use of a version control system (preferably Git).
Any experience in the following would also be desirable:
- Knowledge of Acquisition Marketing (Search-Engine Marketing, Meta Search)
- ETL/ data load process development
- Hive (and other SQL-on-Hadoop tools)
- Experience dealing with large and/or complex data sets
- Unit-testing frameworks (JUnit, Mockito etc) and Test-Driven Development.
- Cloud solutions, particularly Amazon Web Services
- Massively parallel (MPP) database systems such as Teradata
- Other Hadoop data processing tools (Cascading, Spark, Pig, MapReduce etc.)
- Other Big data/ NoSQL technologies
- Microsoft SQL Server
A Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related field is preferred.