The online travel market never stands still. The opportunity is huge and the competition is fierce. At Hotels.com, we’re in the thick of it. We live and breathe travel. Our technology team is insanely passionate about using the best technology and processes to give our customers the best possible experience when finding hotels for their business or leisure travel needs. We want them to feel the same passion for travel that we do.
Why build your career at Hotels.com?
- You’ll get to work with some spectacular people both from the technology team and wider business
- We work hard to create a supportive, collaborative, and fulfilling place where you can progress your career
- We have many of the best bits of a start-up but with the resources of the world’s biggest travel company, Expedia, Inc. (over £28Billion in Gross Bookings in 2014!)
- We love open source and actively participate in the open source community
- We win prizes (Netflix Cloud Prize for one)
- We do hackathons where you can branch out of your usual area to contribute something different and innovative
- We host and speak at meet ups
- We want everyone on our team to have the tools and resources to succeed in their career
- We get to do all of this in a lovely, comfortable office in vibrant, central part of London
What we’re looking for in you
- We want you to come with passion, creativity, deep expertise, openness, flexibility and drive. Practicality and common sense are important to us.
- We want you to be focused on moving the business forward. We don’t just build software for its own sake (notwithstanding deep appreciation for the craft). We build it to help our customers find the right hotel, every time.
- We want you to have a keen interest in the business, not just any given technical problem. We want you to understand the big picture and how your work fits into it.
- We want you to get excited about big, hairy technical problems like we do.
- We want you to participate in the Hotels.com technology community, the wider Hotels.com team, and the wider technical community around the world.
We live, eat, and breathe travel revolutionised by technology. We work hard and play hard. We’re never satisfied. We celebrate success and learn when we sometimes fall short.
In this role you will be supporting the daily activities of the Search Engine Marketing (SEM) team by building tools which capitalize on the API’s provided by our SEM partners like Google and Bing for their advertising platforms. The tools you build will allow the SEM team to be more efficient, spot problems quicker and become more profitable. You will work closely with our stakeholders to gain an understanding of their requirements, provide support, and deliver software that benefits all SEM teams across Hotels.com.
- Write clean, efficient, and effectively tested code for mission critical components.
- Take an active role in code reviews, retrospectives, demos, planning, technical discussions and everything that helps us continuously get better.
- Support and work with other development teams working in London, Budapest, Szeged and Rome.
- Take ownership of the delivery of our components throughout the SDLC.
We care first and foremost about finding the brightest software engineers on the market, not a long list of buzzwords and technologies on a CV. In our collaborative, supportive teams you’ll have time to learn the specific tools we use on the job, but the following expertise is certainly a useful head start:
- Proficient understanding of core Java.
- A passion for Scala (having used Scala in the workplace or on personal projects would be advantageous).
- Previous experience building concurrent applications (Akka is a big plus).
- Previous experience building Rest APIs.
- Agile/lean development processes.
- Open source contributions or equivalent experience developing commercial frameworks or software products is highly beneficial.
- Data store experience a big plus e.g. Cassandra
The world’s leading hotel booking site offering the widest selections of lodging and accommodations from traditional hotels to vacation rentals at more than 70,000 properties worldwide. Hotels.com offers reservation services through its own websites (including hotels.com and others), its interactive affiliate network , and its toll-free call centers (1-800-2-HOTELS).
About Expedia, Inc.
Our mission is to revolutionize travel through the power of technology. Collectively, the Expedia brands cover virtually every aspect of researching, planning, and booking travel, from choosing the best airplane seat, to reading personal travel reviews of hotels, to planning what to do in a destination once you arrive. The Expedia portfolio includes brands such as Expedia, Hotels.com, Expedia Affiliate Network (EAN), Egencia, Hotwire, eLong, trivago, and Venere, to name a few. Expedia delivers consumer travel demand from nearly every continent to a wide range of hotels, hundreds of airlines, tour operators, car rental companies and destination services supply partners. Please visit company website to learn more about our travel brands. At Expedia, Inc. we believe in personality and passion. We know how to have fun. We love solving problems and creating ideas. We’re a team of talented and diverse people from all over the world. We believe in a work-well, live-well approach and offer benefits to meet your professional, personal, and family needs.