Findmypast is entering in to a period of sustained growth and expansion, both in the UK and the USA, as it looks to capitalise on the growing interest of consumers to understand their personal heritage and to leave a legacy for future generations of their family.
As a business built on the ingestion, searching and surfacing of historical data sets we have unique insight in to the past, unrivalled by companies like Google and Facebook and we are planning significant product development in the coming months. In order to make that happen, we need great people to join our growing team in London, Dundee and the Greater Salt Lake City / Provo area (USA).
The role of the Product Manager for Search experience and technologies is to transform the Search capability of our technology platform both from a back-end and a front-end perspective, maximizing the exposure of the more than eight billion names in our database whilst ensuring the wide needs of our users are addressed in a scalable and efficient way.
This is a strategically important role and will require an exceptional individual who is driven, focused, organised and has significant experience of implementing Search across massive data sets.
- Developing a deep understanding of our user and business needs and building a corresponding strategy to delivery rapid, incremental change to our Search capabilities
- Working across the business with multiple teams, balancing competing needs and taking ownership of the roadmap
- Defining the key metrics both for user outcomes and delivery milestones
- Leading the product delivery process
- Regular reporting on progress/outcomes to ensure transparency and support for the efforts of the Product Management team
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Working with multiple, large data sets, both structured and un-structured, to ensure customer success
- Experience of solutions that utilise commonly used search technology like Elasticsearch, SOLR etc as well as emerging search technologies
- Experience measuring / improving search results over time in terms of precision, recall and other critical measures.
- Working with Search as a conversion tool (i.e. a commercial driver)
- Deep understanding of different search challenges e.g. faceted meta-data, indexing, weighting & prioritising, hinting and matching and semantic search
- Implementing cross-domain Search functionality
- Search UX and UI e.g. smart breadcrumbs; synonym aliasing; auto-complete
- Proven experience working with an agile and lean Product Engineering team delivering incrementally;
- Previously worked within a data-driven company in the context of consumer facing applications
- Previously worked in an outcome focussed Product Engineering team where experimentation is the norm