Making sure Hotels.com helps our customers find the perfect place and wake up happy is an exciting mission for our teams. We’re on the lookout for a techie to help Hotels.com build fast, scalable and reliable solutions within our Performance and Reliability Engineering team. Your role plays a super-important part of the experience of millions of Hotels.com customers across the globe – you’ll get to work with cutting-edge tech and ensure we’re speedily and reliably serving thousands of requests per second. You’ll join a friendly team in our trendy London office and your work will span multiple non-functional disciplines. Our team digs deep into tech to understand what’s happening under the covers and we build up a unique, technical knowledge base to share with our teams and beyond. From appraising technical implementations to getting hands-on running tests and profiling components, our role is varied, challenging and extremely rewarding!
- Do you thrive upon the challenges of working in a broad scope within a complex and distributed stack?
- Do you have a passion for engineering Java-based software to make it faster or otherwise more efficient?
- Do you understand the factors that affect the reliability of a high-throughput, distributed stack?
- Are you interested in your work spanning anywhere from the end user’s browser to our origin infrastructure, and beyond?
- Can you identify and suggest resolution of performance bottlenecks via profiling and monitoring?
- Can you use industry-standard tools like LoadRunner or JMeter (or even your own) to design and run scenarios for various non-functional purposes?
- Are you happiest in a continually-evolving environment with an ability to pick up new concepts and tech quickly?
- Do you have a fastidious eye for detail and can you analyse complex data to form conclusions?
- Advise development teams on how to build super-fast, scalable and reliable software
- Proactively identify ways to improve system performance via code, configuration, tuning and architectural changes
- Identify ways to improve system reliability through proactive analysis and learning from production environments
- Perform evaluations in the realms of new technologies, hardware, infrastructure, virtualisation and cloud computing
- Promote and instil performance and reliability matters throughout the technology group
- Investigate production incidents and determine root causes, driving remedial actions where appropriate
- Assist in establishing CI-based automated performance testing within development teams
- Participate in scalability analysis and capacity planning activities Essential Competencies
- Java-based profiling and performance engineering in a Web application context
- JVM monitoring and tuning
- Knowledge of client-side performance factors and key metrics
- Designing performance testing scenarios using an industry standard toolset
- Web server configuration and tuning (e.g. Apache)
- Service container (e.g. Tomcat, Netty) configuration and tuning
- Linux performance monitoring
- Layer 4-7 network services and devices
- Agile software development methodologies Desirable Competencies
- Systems reliability
- Cloud computing (AWS preferred)
- Distributed database management system experience (e.g. Cassandra)
- CDNs (e.g. Akamai)
- c.£60K salary plus travel allowance, bonus, pension, healthcare, flex bens
About Expedia, Inc.
Our mission is to revolutionize travel through the power of technology.
Collectively, the Expedia, Inc. brands cover virtually every aspect of researching, planning, and booking travel, from choosing the best airplane seat, to reading personal travel reviews of hotels, to planning what to do in a destination once you arrive. The Expedia, Inc. portfolio serves both leisure and business travelers with tastes and budgets ranging from modest to luxury. Expedia delivers consumer travel demand from nearly every continent to thousands of hotels and vacation rentals, hundreds of airlines, thousands of activities, and dozens of car rental companies and cruise lines. Please visit www.expediainc.com to learn more about our travel brands. Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.