Essence is a global digital agency that blends data science, objective media and captivating experiences to build valuable connections between brands and consumers. Clients include Google, HP Inc., method, Tesco Mobile and the Financial Times. The agency is more than 540 people strong, manages over $850MM in media spend and deploys campaigns in 71 markets via offices in Chicago, London, New York, San Francisco, Seattle, Shanghai, Singapore, Sydney and Tokyo. Part of GroupM, Essence is majority owned by WPP, the world’s leading communications services group.
Visit essencedigital.com for more information and follow us on Twitter at @essencedigital.
About the role
As a Senior Web Developer at Essence, you will work with a dedicated team to build captivating online experiences tailored to audience needs with a strong focus on quality and creating value for our clients
You’ll work with a team of developers using open source technologies, tools and delivery approaches to rapidly design and build sites and systems. Our philosophy of continuous improvement means all team members are committed to play and reinvent the way we work, encouraging everyone to grow and improve their skills.
Some of the things we’d like you to do:
- Work in line with the team’s development systems, processes and practices, creating work to the agreed quality and on time
- Design and implement technical solutions that are robust, scalable, performant and secure
- Create realistic estimates of development work
- Identify performance or quality issues and design and implement changes to make these more efficient and effective
- Evolve our development approach and processes
- Coach team members to continuously improve consistency and quality of work
- Be part of the on-call support
A bit about yourself:
- 5+ years experience developing high-traffic, complicated applications using PHP and Zend framework or similar MVC framework
- Experience developing sophisticated web applications in other programming language; for example Python, Ruby, Java.
- Experience setting up and managing production LAMP servers in a high volume environment
- Experience using MySQL databases, including the design of efficient and robust schemas
- An ability to architect new solutions as well as develop and improve existing solutions
- Sound understanding of coding standards and conventions
- Experience of implementing tools and techniques for TDD and BDD
- Commercial-nous; able to assess the impact of decisions made when designing and implementing solutions on our client’s bottom line
- Sensitivity to the trade-offs between rapid development and quality assurance
- An ability to work without close supervision, supply clear progress updates, raise concerns when necessary and ultimately manage your own time to meet deadlines
- Well-refined interpersonal skills; able to work collaboratively and communicate at all levels of seniority and levels of technical understanding
- A strong work ethic; able to work under pressure and juggle multiple responsibilities to meet deadlines and deliver great results
- Exceptional diligence and attention to detail as well as resourcefulness and quick, practical thinking in a demanding environment
What you can expect from Essence
Essence’s mission is to make advertising more valuable to the world. We do this by employing the world’s very best talent to solve some of the toughest challenges of today’s digital marketing landscape. It’s important that we hire people whose values reflect those of our own: genuine, results-focused, daring and insightful. As an Essence employee, we promise you a workplace that invests in your career, cares for you and is fun and engaging. We believe these factors create a workplace where you can be yourself and do amazing work.