Senior C#/.Net developer working in Agile, TDD environment – We do this properly (yes even under pressure!!)
We are the best place to work that you’ve never heard of! We are one of the leading price comparison companies; millions use our services to compare and switch energy, telecoms and broadband providers. We own a high volume public facing website, a powerful energy comparison engine delivered by a RESTful API, and a substantial call centre capability (in both the UK and India) run using our own call centre application.
We are self-owned and always profitable with 10+ years behind us and partner many major UK brands including Compare the Market, GoCompare and Credit Expert.
We’re seeking people like you to strengthen our team because we have many exciting new projects in the pipeline.
About the team
You’ll be part of a talented team where individual responsibility is expected, collaborative working is critical (we pair on all production code) and quality is baked in from the beginning.
As a development team, a lot of what we believe in comes from XP practices.
- Specify features between developers, QAs and the business
- Deliver features iteratively
- Write code test first, and then refactor once the tests are passing
- Pair programming
- Continuously integrate and manage our build pipeline using TeamCity
- Deploy our code automatically using Octopus
- Aspire to write clean, understandable code that is easy to read and maintain
All of this enables us to work almost exclusively on new functionality at a sustainable pace and sleep at night.
Of course we’re not perfect! As good as things are they can always be better so the whole team conducts regular retrospectives and we even do the work to implement the suggestions.
Continuing to sharpen the saw
We believe that the employee-employer relationship is very much a two way street. We’ll give you the inspiration, environment and tools to do your job to the best of your ability.
- 20% time every Friday for you to work on personal development
- Individual training budget of £2000 per year for training and conferences
- Pluralsight and Safariflow subscriptions provided
- Latest development tools and environments
About the role
As a member of our talented cross-functional development team, you will:
- Have the opportunity to shape our products alongside our QAs and product owners
- Spend most of your time coding, not in meetings
- Have responsibility for automated testing, and you’ll write and maintain tests at all levels
- Improve the systems that you work on as you go
- Play an active role in improving what we do
We are looking for engaged developers who are interested in improving their skills and their craft. You may not be the finished article, but being able to demonstrate your desire to improve is a big plus for us.
- Be committed to test driven development; you’ll believe in it and use it everyday
- Have a real interest in the programming craft; demonstrated by undertaking personal projects, attending conferences or community events, and reading the relevant literature
- Have commercial experience crafting and developing high quality code
- Be open to sharing your knowledge with colleagues
Interesting things we’ve been up to recently
There is always lots of interesting things going on. Some of the things we’ve worked on recently have included:
- Implementing a CQRS/Event sourced core domain used across applications
- Building a RESTful HATEOAS Richardson Maturity Level 3 API
- Rewriting our publicly available site using AngularJS consuming our RESTful API (check it out at [http://refresh.energyhelpline.com])
- Automating rolling deployments for key applications
- Optimising website using a data-driven, A/B testing approach
To help us
When you apply, please include a paragraph about what you think makes a good developer, why you like being a developer, and what books and articles have influenced you the most.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company.