Who We Are
We’re in the business of delivering awesome meals into everyone’s home or office – fast.
We achieve this by building and running a superb website, suite of mobile apps, a complex logistical platform, a fleet of passionate drivers, and a global operation, all to help bring great food from the world’s best-loved local restaurants to consumers with an unparalleled level of convenience. We don’t want people to have to suffer with bad takeaway delivered an age after they order.
We work with hundreds of the UK’s best loved restaurants along with renowned local gems such as to enable them to open up a valuable new revenue stream. Our customers are as passionate about great food as we are!
The only thing faster than our deliveries is the growth rate of our company. We’re increasing in business scale and organizational size at a blisteringly fast rate, and keeping it all together and making everything click are at the heart of what make working at Deliveroo a thrilling experience. If you want to make a difference, and you’re passionate about food, come on board and join the ride.
What We Do
As a logistics company, our software is used to transport physical goods and solve real-world problems. We handle rapid decisions about dispatching drivers in real-time and remove slow human think-time and inefficient information discovery from every interchange point in the order processing workflow so food deliveries can be fulfilled as quickly as possibly. Our current total order fulfillment time from the time that the customer submits an order until they receive their meal is, on average, 32 minutes, although we know we can do better.
At Deliveroo we’re striving to build London’s best engineering organisation.
We’re dedicated to building a collaborative and supportive culture. We are not directive. We set goals and objectives and offer advice. We empower our engineers to find solutions to problems at the edge of computer science at great scale.
We are looking for like-minded developers who truly love the craft of software engineering. We value a job well done rather than unreasonably long hours. We encourage our engineers to be curious, put time into studying software development (learn new languages, study design patterns or algorithms, experiment with new open source frameworks, etc.) and to continue to develop new skills.
- As a Software Engineer on our team, you will:
- Develop and maintain a robust and scalable data integration framework to obtain data from various third parties to support Deliveroo as it continues to grow
- Build batch and streaming pipelines for the purpose of analysis across product, operations, data science and other areas
Contribute to solving Deliveroo’s logistics challenges by provisioning high quality data frameworks
- You take pride in creating readable, well-designed, well-tested software
- Experience in developing API consumer applications in Java/Scala
- RESTful API development
- Experience with monitoring and profiling tools
- Experience with testing frameworks such as ScalaTest and JUnit
- Good knowledge on version control and release workflow
- Experience using AWS environment, particularly in S3, EMR, EC2, Lambda and using the AWS SDK and CLI
- Experience with Kinesis, Kafka, Storm or other real-time systems
- Akka framework for both concurrency and HTTP
- Experience or interest in Hadoop ecosystem as well as data processing frameworks such as Scalding, Cascading,
- Algebird and Spark
- Knowledge of different data repositories and their use cases (relational, MPP, NoSQL, key-value, document)
- Experience with continuous delivery tools/scripting
- A sense of humour
- Become one of the early employees of a fast-growing, exciting startup changing the food delivery landscape
- Have a real impact on the company’s growth and evolution
- Work with people who love what they do every day
- Highly subsidised gym membership at one of the top local gyms in the area
- Friday lunches from our very own restaurant partners and regular restaurant sample tastings
- Top end machinery
- Regular off-sites with the team, as well as game nights, and the legendary “Bun-day Monday”
- Ping-pong table, PS4, dartboard and foosball table as standard office furniture
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are – your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start ups around.