- Reports to: James Billingham (co-founder)
- Remuneration: £30-40k + equity
- Location: London
- Working Hours: as you would expect for a startup!
- Start: late-August 2016
- Contract: permanent
The next big area within finance to get disrupted, insurance is ripe for innovation, and Cuvva is starting with car insurance.
Ever thought the premium for your car insurance is opaque and unfair? Well, that’s because it is. At Cuvva we have fixed this by allowing you to insure yourself on a car for as little as an hour, via an app.
No more meerkat toys, no more singing tenors, we have cut out all the middlemen and built our own platform from scratch for distributing insurance. We’re using it to change the way people buy and use insurance, and the way they think about getting from A-to-B. It’s all about providing insurance that fits.
If you think you have what it takes to raise our game and you’re interested in dynamic risk profiling, real-time marketplace competition, behavioural psychology, cool hardware integrations and automated emergency/crash detection, then we should talk.
Cuvva is seed funded (£500k to date), and has recently completed the Barclays/Techstars fintech accelerator. We are currently fundraising with a view to scaling the business quickly over the next 12-18 months. We’re a team of eight full and part-time people, and we’re hiring!
We’re looking for a kick-ass software engineer who has experience working with a Node-heavy stack. You’ve been a key member of small teams within high-intensity startups, being able to operate with significant autonomy, while still conforming to existing team standards. You care deeply about building rock-solid infrastructure for the long term, with a track record of delivering solutions which support the whole team, and your product. You’re a total nerd, but comfortable with presenting/speaking and communicating professionally.
You’ll be a core part of the team which creates and owns the entire Cuvva platform, delivering solutions unmatched by any other insurance company. You will also regularly prototype new concepts and research new technology, with a view to incorporating it into our long-term plans. You will put practices and infrastructure into place which will support the team as it grows.
You will be responsible for:
- developing practices and procedures for our back-end systems
- creating a new data processing platform to support our telematics and statistics activities
- planning and implementing new product features
- working with our team to develop their skills
- helping customers and fixing any problems they have (everyone does support)
- improving internal tooling to support the whole team
The perfect addition to our team will have:
- a fiercely independent and self-driven approach
- 2+ years commercial experience working on back-end systems at high-scale companies
- knowledge of the entire web stack – from how DNS lookups are transmitted, to how browsers prioritize CSS rules
- a deep-rooted love of South Park, along with other satire and dark humor
- more ideas than they know what to do with
- a strong understanding of tech startups and what it means to work in this environment
- awareness of compliance and financial regulation
We are a small team so it is important that the successful candidate is not only technically highly competent, but also a great cultural fit!
Apply directly with your CV and a short paragraph about yourself.
For an up-to-date listing of all our open positions: https://github.com/cuvva/jobs
Note: at present, Cuvva does not work with recruiters. We will only consider direct enquiries from applicants
Cuvva is authorized and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Our reference number is 690273. You can check our details on their website.