We are looking for an experienced full time Android engineer to join our new London-based cross-functional software development team, which will build the software that powers and improves our ability to deliver massive learning gains – at scale. The London team will have a special focus on the learning management platform and the rest of the tech running in our academies (which is all Android based).
Who we are
Bridge International Academies is the world’s largest and fastest-growing chain of primary and pre-primary schools with more than 400 academies and 120,000 pupils in Kenya and Uganda. We democratize the right to succeed by giving families living in poverty access to the high-quality education that will allow their children to live a very different life. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to standardize and scale every aspect of quality education delivery, from how and where academies are built to how teachers are selected and trained, and how lessons are delivered and monitored for improvement. We are vertically-integrated, tech-enabled, and on our way to profitability. Bridge expects to continue rapid expansion in East Africa, Nigeria and India in 2016.
Tech at Bridge
Technology plays a critical role at Bridge in enabling us to provide education at massive scale and low cost – it’s one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver what no one else can. Tech spans Senior Android Engineer several key functions, from the hardware and software that our academies use to run all aspects of teaching and management, including mobile payments, to the systems that enable our country headquarters to manage massive local operations, to the data backbone that informs all of our strategic and tactical decision making. We’ve got a ridiculously ambitious mission at Bridge, and it’s a place where passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world. No kidding.
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced full time Android engineer to join our new London-based crossfunctional software development team, which will build the software that powers and improves our ability to deliver massive learning gains – at scale. The London team will have a special focus on the learning management platform and the rest of the tech running in our academies (which is all Android based). This person will join an elite, interdisciplinary team that will be building the technology that will take Bridge to the next level. It’s a great opportunity to grow and learn, while working on developing software with a mission that few, if any, can compete with. We believe in innovation, fast feedback, and high impact. We have an existing portfolio of native Android applications that undergird our ability to support selfsufficient academy management, engage the local community, and deliver high-quality education to our pupils. However, we need someone that can drive the next generation of these platforms, ensuring high availability even in challenging conditions and generally driving innovation in the mobile space. It’s all about rolling up one’s sleeves to introduce best practices, deliver key functionality, and pave the way for exciting future possibilities, like adaptive curriculums and automated grading of tests (to name just a few).
What You Will Do
- Gather requirements, build, test, and ship new Android functionality for our academy tech platform.
- Collaborate with the server-side developers to design the APIs for specifically for the Android application (not just consuming APIs that were already developed for a web app)
- Engage on all dimensions of the app, from UI and UX, to business logic, to storage and networking.
- Introduce architectural patterns to improve scalability, stability, and maintainability.
What You Should Have
- Bachelor’s degree in related field with superior academic performance.
- At least three years of professional Android development experience. Senior Android Engineer o Esp. published apps on Google Play.
- Full lifecycle experience, from conceptualisation to deployment to feedback from production.
- Experience with writing library projects that get reused across multiple android apps
- Knowledge of Gradle and DI helpful
- Experience architecting whole Android applications, not just adding features or porting existing apps.
- Belief in the importance of automated unit, integration, and functional tests for Android apps.
- Exposure to continuous integration and continuous delivery practices, especially in an environment of weekly (or even more frequent) releases to production.
- Love for collaboration and working with driven stakeholders, including presenting work with confidence when interacting with business owners and users.
- Openness and eagerness for learning new paradigms and practices.
- Passion for Bridge’s vision of democratising the right for all children to succeed.