Think Big (previously Big Data Partnership) is a leading specialised consultancy helping large organisations adopt Big Data technologies. Think Big assists at all stages of adoption, from initial strategic consultation to proof of concept implementations, and into business-as-usual operations. Along the way, we offer training and support to effect the necessary organisational change to enhance the Customer’s use of cutting edge enterprise-ready technologies.
The Big Data Software Engineer should have technical expertise, the desire to consistently deliver work of the highest quality, and a pragmatic approach to complex problems. The ideal candidate should be customer facing, and have the skills required to make technical decisions which positively impact the whole team’s velocity and the quality of the final product. Big Data Software Engineers are proactive problem solvers who revel in working at the cutting edge of software implementation.
- Experience with agile methodologies, like scrum, TDD and continuous delivery
- Advising Customers on determining requirements
- Documenting work on projects with conviction
- Creating clean self-documenting code
- Knowing their way around Unix based operating systems, e.g. Linux, OS X
- Having experience with software development tools, such as version/source control (git, svn), build services (Jenkins, Bamboo) and issue tracking (Jira)
- Having experience with agile methodology, like TDD, BDD, continuous delivery and ideally a scrum master
- Size and estimate workload in an informed and reliable fashion
- Anticipate problems and devise suitable solutions
- Attend training, e.g. to learn about the latest technology
- Share knowledge, e.g. give internal talks or write blog posts
- Contribute strategically, e.g. build internal tools
- Attend Client side engagements
- Travel when necessary
- Be a team player!
Ensure work is:
- Tested thoroughly as a driver of implementation
- Robust and able to handle an exception
- Efficient including common patterns and data structures
With the stakeholders:
- Translate functional requirements into code
- Highlight risks and assumptions
- Communicate in a clear and concise fashion
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- At least 3 years of demonstrable experience writing Java and/or Scala in a professional environment
- Demonstrable experience of contributing to the release life cycle of production ready solutions
- Ability to write software using a TDD approach
- A passion for good engineering principles and the ability to write good, clean code
- Demonstrable experience with core principles such as dependency management, simple design patterns, sorting algorithms, complexity estimation & persistence layers
- Demonstrable experience with simple design patterns and OOP
- Ability to comment on structured vs. semi-structured vs. unstructured data sets
- Experience or a broad understanding of the BDD testing approach
- Worked with at least one highly available distributed system
- Experience working with business stakeholders
- Experience writing user stories & acceptance criteria
- Experience with one or more scripting language like Python
- Big Data technologies e.g. Spark, Hive, Pig, Storm, HDFS, Map Reduce, Zookeeper, Kafka, …
- NoSQL technologies e.g. Cassandra, HBase, …
- Search technologies e.g. Elasticsearch, Lucene, Solr, …
- Hadoop distributions e.g. Hortonworks, MapR, Cloudera, …
- Build automation and relevant tools e.g. maven
- Automated deployment tooling e.g. Puppet, Ansible, Chef, Salt
Education and Experience
- A computer science degree or equivalent professional experience
- Experience facing business stakeholders or consultancy experience
We offer a great package: competitive salary; annual bonus scheme; 26 days holiday including your birthday off; as well as life insurance; matched pension contribution; a season ticket loan; tax efficient childcare vouchers; cycle to work schemes; and the option to purchase additional holidays.
Think Big is based in Old Street, London, just off the aptly named ‘Silicon Roundabout’. We are often required to spend time with our Customers on-site. This allows us to collaborate, align and integrate with our Customers and their teams. Working with Customers outside of London can necessitate overnight stays and you will be required to participate in travel-based work as a Think Big team member.
We offer a flexible working environment, a working from home policy and the invitation to attend a weekly ‘tools down’ where the whole team gets together for tea, coffee and biscuits.
Not your average place to work: inspiring and passionate people; and a dynamic, relaxed and collaborative culture. A chance for you to join a rapidly expanding organisation with ambitious growth targets where you can make your mark and shape the future.