Think Big (previously Big Data Partnership) is a leading specialised consultancy helping large organisations adopt Big Data technologies. Think Big assists at all stages of adoption, from initial strategic consultation to proof of concept implementations, and into business-as-usual operations. Along the way, we help with training and support to effect the necessary organisational change to make the best use of cutting edge enterprise-ready technologies.
The Senior Systems Engineer will work closely with internal and external stakeholders to define, deliver and own all non-functional requirements for customer solutions. They will be responsible for ensuring that each solution Think Big delivers meets or exceeds expectations around performance, availability, scalability and security. They will be expected to define non-functional requirements for each solution based on project scope. The successful candidate will show exceptional knowledge of the tools and processes required to deliver, operate and iterate an enterprise-class, production-ready solution.
The Senior Systems Engineer will be involved with the customer from the planning stages of a engagement through to delivery and will be expected to spend a great deal of time working in or leading cross-functional teams. They will be responsible for the timely delivery of project milestones including documentation, proof-of-concept deployments, management and monitoring tools and final handover of a solution.
The Senior Systems Engineer role will be responsible for ensuring that the environments we deploy for our customers are designed, built, optimised and secured to the highest possible standards. This will be done through the rigorous application of best practices around Design Principles, Automation, Monitoring, Hardening, Documentation and Knowledge-Sharing.
The Senior Systems Engineer will recommend, build and deploy high-quality monitoring tools including the creation of automated tools and processes for Security and Performance assurance. They will own all non-functional requirements for customer solutions and will be responsible for researching and/or building the tools to allow us to meet those requirements in a repeatable and consistent manner.
To support the building of industry-leading Big Data solutions and to lead development of the tools and processes required to ensure that these solutions can be delivered in a low-risk and repeatable way.
- Design, Installation and Documentation of multiple customer environments
- Design, Installation and Documentation of Hadoop and other distributed software platforms such as Hortonworks, Cloudera and MapR
- Performing any and all necessary tasks to ensure that environments provided to clients are fit for purpose and Production-Ready where required
- Specification, Design and Implementation of Enterprise-Class Monitoring solutions for distributed systems
- Defining and capturing metrics to support incident response and capacity planning
- Defining, documenting and building automated testing strategies for distributed systems
- Defining and documenting processes to reduce risk and improve customer experience
- Utilisation of configuration management tools for repeatable and consistent delivery
- Automation of operational tasks
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- 5+ years’ experience supporting complex, large-scale production environments
- Excellent understanding of Linux/UNIX administration
- Running production workloads in IaaS environments
- Deploying and managing complex software architectures in production
- Developing, maintaining and sharing tools to automate operational tasks
- Scripting languages such as Python or Ruby
- Deploying and operating enterprise-class monitoring solutions
- Development and debugging of applications in Java or another language
- Understanding and Application of TDD/BDD methodologies
- Deploying distributed systems such as Hadoop at scale
- Defining Non-Functional Requirements for large, complex production environments
- Developing processes for Incident Response and Disaster Recovery
- Kerberos Administration
- Managing Containers in production using Docker Swarm, Kubernetes or similar
- Building, configuring and maintaining networks
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Degree or equivalent professional experience
- Excellent communications skills and experience in a customer-facing role
- Excellent Problem-Solving skills
- Able to quickly pick up and use new tools and technologies
- We offer a great package: competitive salary; annual bonus scheme; 26 days holiday including your birthday off; as well as life insurance; matched pension contribution; a season ticket loan; tax efficient childcare vouchers; cycle to work schemes; and the option to purchase additional holidays.
- Think Big is based in Old Street, London, just off the aptly named ‘Silicon Roundabout’. We are often required to spend time with our Customers on-site. This allows us to collaborate, align and integrate with our Customers and their teams. Working with Customers outside of London can necessitate overnight stays and you will be required to participate in travel-based work as a Think Big team member.
- We offer a flexible working environment, where you have the option to work from home regularly and are invited to attend a weekly ‘tools down’ where the whole team get together for tea, coffee and biscuits.
- Not your average place to work: inspiring and passionate people; and a dynamic, relaxed and collaborative culture. A chance for you to join a rapidly expanding organisation with ambitious growth targets where you can make your mark and shape the future.
ABOUT BIG DATA PARTNERSHIP
Big Data Partnership is EMEA’s leading Big Data specialist solution provider. We help organisations unlock the value in complex data by offering proven expertise in Consulting, Data Science, Engineering, Training and Support. Our vision is to become the best and most trusted Big Data service provider in the world.
Companies are generating data at a faster rate than ever before and are continuing to outpace the growth of storage capacity. A significant proportion of the driving force behind this explosive growth is in form of unstructured data which has been created from relatively new sources including social networks, mobile content, and machine data, all of which create massive complex data sets. In an information society where data is now the new currency, Big Data Partnership firmly believe that making sense of this data in an economically viable way will drive new revenue streams and give customers competitive advantage that were never before possible using traditional data warehouse and business intelligence solutions.
Think Big helps organisations identify use cases to address their Big Data challenges and more importantly realise value from it. This encompasses end-to-end consultancy from data strategy, technology enablement and application of data science techniques. Our Consultants are certified industry experts who have worked extensively with Big Data technologies and toolsets including the Apache Hadoop ecosystem, Apache Cassandra and other NoSQL databases, Apache Spark and search technologies including Elasticsearch to provide scalable and reliable data solutions.