Think Big (previously Big Data Partnership) is a leading specialised consultancy helping large organisations adopt Big Data technologies. Think Big assists at all stages of adoption, from initial strategic consultation to proof of concept implementations, and into business-as-usual operations. Along the way, we help with training and support to effect the necessary organisational change to make the best use of cutting edge enterprise-ready technologies.
The Systems Administrator works with both internal and external stakeholders to manage Big Data platforms both on-site and in the cloud. They work closely with our Engineers to deploy and operate high-performance, highly-available and secure instances of the latest Big Data technologies, including Hadoop, Spark and Elastic. The ideal candidate will deploy and manage these applications within existing enterprise infrastructure and as such should have a excellent, in-depth working knowledge of enterprise-level system administration practices and processes.
The role will require the candidate to display flexible and thorough working practices. As we employ different tools, technology stacks and methodologies to provide each Customer with a solution tailored for their organisation, we are looking for a Senior Systems Administrator who is comfortable working with many tools and across multiple environments: be that Linux or Windows; in the Cloud or on-premise.
The Senior Systems Administrator will be responsible for ensuring that the environments we deploy for our Customers are maintained to the highest possible standards. This will be done through the rigorous application of best practices around Security Hardening, Patching and Upgrades, User Management, Documentation and Automation. The Systems Administrator will work closely with Customer organisations to ensure that any work completed meets their own internal standards and requirements. They will also be expected to mentor more junior team members and develop and maintain processes to improve the performance of the wider team.
To provide exemplary levels of Support and Service to our Customers and lead the delivery and maintenance of industry-leading Big Data solutions matched to individual Customer requirements.
- Installation, Configuration, Documentation and Administration of multiple Pre-Production and Production platforms in various Cloud and Physical environments
- Installation, Configuration, Documentation and Administration of Hadoop and other software distributions such as Hortonworks, Cloudera and MapR
- Timely and thorough investigation and resolution of Software and Hardware issues
- Configuration and integration of Big Data frameworks with enterprise monitoring systems
- Utilisation of configuration management tools for repeatable and consistent delivery
- Security hardening activities
- Supply feature requests and bug fixes to internal automation tools
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- 5+ years experience supporting complex, large-scale Production environments
- Excellent understanding of Linux/UNIX Administration
- Experience of managing Production workloads in AWS
- Active Directory/LDAP Administration
- Production experience of administering at least one RDBMS such as MySQL or Postgres
- Experience of scripting languages such as Python or Ruby
- Experience of defining Hardening processes for one or more Production environments
- Experience of deploying and operating Enterprise-class monitoring solutions
- Experience in using Virtualisation and Cloud Based Technologies
- Experience of development and debugging of Java applications
- Experience of deploying Enterprise software in Production
- Hadoop or other distributed systems admin experience
- Experience in building, configuring and maintaining networks
- Understanding of utilising Automation Tools such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet
- Kerberos Administration
- Windows Administration
- Experience of Deploying and Maintaining Server Hardware at scale
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Degree or equivalent professional experience
- Excellent communications skills and experience in a Customer-facing role
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to quickly pick up and use new tools and technologies
- Experience of leading technical teams and mentoring more junior staff members
- Capable of working independently, managing time effectively and supporting multiple production environments simultaneously
- We offer a great package: competitive salary; annual bonus scheme; 26 days holiday including your birthday off; as well as life insurance; matched pension contribution; a season ticket loan; tax efficient childcare vouchers; cycle to work schemes; and the option to purchase additional holidays.
- BDP is based in Old Street, London, just off the aptly named ‘Silicon Roundabout’. We are often required to spend time with our Customers on-site. This allows us to collaborate, align and integrate with our Customers and their teams. Working with Customers outside of London can necessitate overnight stays and you will be required to participate in travel-based work as a BDP team member.
- We offer a flexible working environment, where you have the option to work from home regularly and are invited to attend a weekly ‘tools down’ where the whole team get together for tea, coffee and biscuits.
- Not your average place to work: inspiring and passionate people; and a dynamic, relaxed and collaborative culture. A chance for you to join a rapidly expanding organisation with ambitious growth targets where you can make your mark and shape the future.
ABOUT BIG DATA PARTNERSHIP
Big Data Partnership is EMEA’s leading Big Data specialist solution provider. We help organisations unlock the value in complex data by offering proven expertise in Consulting, Data Science, Engineering, Training and Support. Our vision is to become the best and most trusted Big Data service provider in the world.
Companies are generating data at a faster rate than ever before and are continuing to outpace the growth of storage capacity. A significant proportion of the driving force behind this explosive growth is in form of unstructured data which has been created from relatively new sources including social networks, mobile content, and machine data, all of which create massive complex data sets. In an information society where data is now the new currency, Think Big firmly believe that making sense of this data in an economically viable way will drive new revenue streams and give customers competitive advantage that were never before possible using traditional data warehouse and business intelligence solutions.
Think Big helps organisations to identify use cases to address their Big Data challenges and more importantly realise value from it. This encompasses end-to-end consultancy from data strategy, technology enablement and application of data science techniques. Our Consultants are certified industry experts who have worked extensively with Big Data technologies and toolsets including the Apache Hadoop ecosystem, Apache Cassandra and other NoSQL databases, Apache Spark and search technologies including Elasticsearch to provide scalable and reliable data solutions.