Think Big (previously Big Data Partnership) is a leading specialised consultancy helping large organisations adopt Big Data technologies. Think Big assists at all stages of adoption, from initial strategic consultation to proof of concept implementations, and into business-as-usual operations. Along the way, we offer training and support to effect the necessary organisational change to enhance the Customer’s use of cutting edge enterprise-ready technologies.
The DevOps Engineer should strike a good balance between developing code and systems administration. The background of an ideal candidate may be from development or from operations, but their primary interest must be in bringing the two together with recognised methodologies, e.g. ‘infrastructure as code’ and ‘end to end automation’. The candidate must be able to extol the benefits of adhering to such practices and also be aware of the challenges in not only delivering against them, but educating others to come around to working in such a way.
- Define and create automation modules to constantly simplify and improve quality, consistency and performance of complex distributed systems
- Work alongside Cngineers to deliver Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment pipelines both in house and for Customer projects
- Keep up to date with the latest DevOps tools and practices
- Apply DevOps best practices across projects
- Help drive positive change, by demonstrating to peers and Customers alike, the benefits of leveraging DevOps practices
- Have a can do attitude, willing to contribute to all areas of DevOps processes by covering diverse areas of specialisation, if necessary becoming the subject matter expert in brand new technologies or processes
- Ensure that there is a stream of innovation, i.e. a constant delivery of improvements and features
- Work within an Agile environment across multiple teams, daily stand-ups, sprints and kanban etc
- Foster a DevOps culture, collaborate with technology experts and promote knowledge sharing
- Set up and configure Development, Testing, Staging and Production environments (on premise and cloud based)
- Development, configuration and deployment of automation processes and procedures
- Networking expertise including, but not limited to, the configuration of firewalls and VPN (Work with both on premise hardware and virtual machines)
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Deep knowledge and understanding of Linux/Unix
- Experience with automation tools (Ansible, Puppet or Chef)
- Ability to write clean, concise code and scripts (Bash, Python, Ruby, Java
- Experience in tuning and troubleshooting Unix systems
- Experience with continuous integration and/or continuous delivery using Git, Jenkins, Bamboo
- Hands on experience of setting up, configuring and deploying to the cloud, e.g. AWS, Google Cloud, Azure and on premise cloud
- Confident with virtualization and container management (VirtualBox, VMWare, Xen, KVM, Docker, Vagrant)
- Orchestration and Scheduling such as Mesos, Kubernetes and Docker Swarm
- Knowledge of security in Unix (LDAP, Kerberos, Firewalls, IP Tables etc.)
- Ability to set-up, configure and maintain public, private, vpn based networks
- Experience with infrastructure testing such as, Test Kitchen, Serverspec, Rspec
- Experience or familiarity of the Hadoop ecosystem
- Knowledge of distributed architectures / systems
- NoSQL (e.g. Cassandra, Elasticsearch, HBase, etc.)
- Experience with optimising JVM applications
Education and Experience
- Degree or equivalent real world experience
- Extensive Client facing experience
We offer a great package: competitive salary; annual bonus scheme; 26 days holiday including your birthday off; as well as life insurance; matched pension contribution; a season ticket loan; tax efficient childcare vouchers; cycle to work schemes; and the option to purchase additional holidays.
Think Big is based in Old Street, London, just off the aptly named ‘Silicon Roundabout’. We are often required to spend time with our Customers on-site. This allows us to collaborate, align and integrate with our Customers and their teams. Working with Customers outside of London can necessitate overnight stays and you will be required to participate in travel-based work as a Think Big team member.
We offer a flexible working environment, a working from home policy and the invitation to attend a weekly ‘tools down’ where the whole team gets together for tea, coffee and biscuits.
Not your average place to work: inspiring and passionate people; and a dynamic, relaxed and collaborative culture. A chance for you to join a rapidly expanding organisation with ambitious growth targets where you can make your mark and shape the future.