As a Junior Systems Engineer at Beamly you will work as part of the Platform team, responsible for both continually improving and maintaining our highly automated AWS based infrastructure and shared services, as well as supporting the wider engineering team through a combination of relentless automation and tooling.
You will come from a software or systems engineering background and have a passion for pre-empting issues, automating away pain, and finding root causes. You’ll find and fix things before they even become problems.
Our tech stack includes:
- Micro services written in Scala/Play and Node.js running in Ubuntu on AWS
- Continuous delivery with Thoughtworks GoCD
- Hashcorp stack: Vault, Consul, Packer, Vagrant
- Automation tooling written in Python
- Orchestration and provisioning with Ansible
- Elasticsearch / Kibana
- Apache Kafka and Spark
- WordPress and Drupal
- Lots of AWS services
- Productionising services on AWS to ensure they are self-healing, appropriately monitored, and well documented
- Work with the wider engineering team to identify opportunities for improvement and designing and implementing solutions
- Demonstrable coding experience in at least one systems/scripting language (preferably Python)
- Good knowledge of UNIX and networking
- Be a fast learner and capable of working with minimal supervision
- A degree in Computer Science or a related field, or 2 years of practical experience with any of the above
It’s a plus if you also have:
- End to end understanding of modern web architectures from CDN to persistence layers
- An understanding of how to effectively monitor and measure availability and reliability of web applications
- Experience of working in cloud environments, especially Amazon Web Services
- Experience of using configuration management tools, especially Ansible
What’s it like to work at Beamly?
Working at Beamly means continuing the progress of an indispensable platform, built on world-class technology by a world-class team. You’ll join the Platform team in our vibrant, central, Covent Garden office. We practise test-driven development, continuous integration, weekly ‘Tech Share’ lunches, Friday ‘Show & Tell’, regular hack days, and set time aside for continuous improvement and learning. We are keen to see our engineers flourish and will dedicate time to helping you improve the breadth and depth of your professional skill set.
As a Beamly employee, you’ll also benefit from:
- A high spec MacBook Pro with your choice of peripherals
- Complimentary fruit, snacks, bagels and drinks
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance (4 x base salary)
- 25 days’ holiday per annum
- Additional holiday on your birthday
- Childcare vouchers
Only applicants who have the right to work in the UK will be considered. Candidate sponsorship is unfortunately unavailable.