myBBC is building a deeper engagement with our audiences, and finding new audiences who may not otherwise have discovered the breadth of content the BBC has to offer. For the first time, thanks to the data we’re collecting, audiences can find (or be offered) the content that they love to listen to, read, watch or play with – at the time and place they want.
Responsible for designing, communicating and implementing test approaches in product development. Work closely with all members of the product development team. The Senior Developer in Test will co-ordinate testing activities for a product and ensure the spread of good practice and knowledge.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- • Drive Test-Driven Development (TDD & BDD) by working hand-in-hand with the development and product management teams
• Lead the test approach, test planning, writing and implementation of automated tests, and test suites, to acceptance criteria for both functional and non-functional product assurance
• Continually learn relevant new technologies to keep up with and apply them to the job and support myBBC teams adopt them, by becoming the subject matter expert on new technologies and frameworks.
• Participate in the architecture and design of the area early in the development cycle, influencing it to drive quality and adherence to the specification
• Mentor more junior testers in the team to create a high performance automated test function. Where appropriate Line Manage 1-2 Testers
• Trouble shooting – finding critical bugs and verifying reported issues and working to resolution with the team.
The Ideal Candidate – Knowledge, skills, training and experience:
- Extensive knowledge of HTML, CSS, HTTP; Understanding of web accessibility issues; Extensive knowledge of Agile development practices including TDD and BDD; Ability to write OO code; Understanding of patterns and refactoring; Experience with major browsers and browser tools, e.g. firebug; Ability to pair with developers with a range of ability and knowledge; Ability to pair with stakeholders, to perform business analysis and produce relevant acceptance criteria.
- Web Service, RESTful API automated testing experience and an understanding of how web apps consume RESTful services
- Understanding of databases; Good understanding of version control systems. Experience in using git; Use of de-bugging tools, ability to analyse stack traces, code, log-files and other artefacts; Good understanding of CI and experience of using a CI system, ideally Jenkins; Understanding of Service Oriented Architectures; Knowledge of Unix; Ability to programmatically interact with data formats that may include XML and JSON
- Demonstrable knowledge of rolling out a new automated testing framework e.g using Selenium/WebDriver within an Agile delivery environment
- Demonstrable evidence of working in a multi-tennant environment with multiple clients