The myBBC programme was announced by Tony Hall in October 2013 as a major new strategy to re-position the BBC in the lives of our audiences: to create a personalised engagement. The project delivers to our world class products (iPlayer, Playlister, Sport among others) and reaches millions of audience members every week. As we assemble our technology team to deliver on this promise over the coming years, this is an opportunity to help shape our teams and our ways of working.
With infrastructure services being central to the myBBC strategy, we are looking to hire an enthusiastic and talented senior DevOps Engineer to join our innovative and fast-paced environment. The post will involve working as a member of the team that is scoping, developing and maintaining a range of products across a number of different technologies and cloud environments.
PURPOSE OF ROLE
We’re looking for an experienced DevOps Engineer with in-depth knowledge of cloud based infrastructure design and delivery. You’ll be involved in design, development and maintenance of cloud infrastructure projects as part of the overall myBBC build out. You’ll need to be familiar with best practice web infrastructure design, performance and scalability considerations, security and privacy constraints and the technologies and tools to support. This is a great opportunity for someone who has experience of web technologies / infrastructure to grow their skills and experience in what is a leading edge and exciting programme.
- Interpretation of product and project requirements and translation of these into solutions that can be implemented by the development teams within myBBC
- Ensuring that the development teams have the correct infrastructure and tooling required for the entire delivery and support cycles of the program.
- Ensuring that products delivered are supportable, cost effective, meet the department’s strategic business needs, and align to the departmental infrastructure
- Production of clear infrastructure design documentation and diagrams
- Alignment of architectural solutions with other product groups within Future Media, including collaboration on solution design to ensure fit-for-purpose end-to-end solutions
- Analysis of existing and future product volumetrics and ensure that the architecture is fit for purpose
- To consider and design for security and privacy, by understanding the relevant policies and constraints
- To oversee and lead the implementation of cloud infrastructure projects
- Working with the business and technical stakeholders in order to understand functional and technology requirements and constraints, and to reflect this in an infrastructure solution
- Be part of a DevOps support rota covering the scrum supported platforms
The Ideal Candidate
- Strong background in Linux/Unix Administration
- Experience with automation/configuration management using Puppet, Ansible or equivalent
- Experience of cloud based technologies and infrastructure design, including AWS technologies
- A working understanding of code and script (PHP, Python, Perl and/or Ruby)
- Experience of service infrastructure design – ideally in high volume consumer facing environments. eg CloudFormation, VPC
- Experience with deploying open source software within a Linux platform using continuous integration methodologies, tooling and techniques. eg. Jenkins, Boto]
- Experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams with designers, editorial teams and software developers.
- Extensive proven experience in specifying, developing and deploying architectures and infrastructure for software applications in a new media environment
- Experience in defining and developing high-volume, horizontally scalable architectures for always-up, always-available services
- A knowledge of BBC products, output, or infrastructure would be an advantage
- Experience with Microsoft Azure would be very beneficial
- Development: Bash, Puppet, Ansible, Docker
- Microsoft: Core (no-GUI), Powershell, WRM
- Build experience with: Java, Maven2, Artifactory
- Logging: Splunk, Elasticsearch, LogStash, Kibana Monitoring: CloudWatch to Zenoss or Nagios dashboards
- Packaging: RPM
- Knowledge of public sector security and privacy policies
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits – We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more
About the Company
We donât focus simply on what we do â we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.