7digital is transforming the listening experience for music fans, like you. Our robust, scalable digital music platform and flexible APIs are used to power comprehensive music and radio services for leading consumer brands, mobile carriers, broadcasters, automotive systems, retailers, record labels, artists and agencies. Alongside great technology, we offer global music rights, award-winning radio production services, and content management expertise, making us a leading global partner in this industry.
Working at 7digital, you’ll have the opportunity to work with well-known brands and companies. Over the years, we have delivered services for multinationals such as Samsung, Blackberry and T-Mobile as well as for leaner start-ups such as Turntable.fm and Who Sampled. You will be able to experience the interaction between streaming and radio as we are also the largest independent producer of radio programming for the BBC (including the Radcliffe & Maconie Show and Sounds of the Sixties).
Right now we are engaged in a number of very exciting wearable projects for will.i.am through i.am+, high resolution audio services with Onkyo, Technics and Meridian, video messaging with musical.ly along with developing streaming products for ROK Mobile and Guvera.
We need a super-talented and enthusiastic Web Ops/Sys Admin who is keen to work on a high availability and high demand system – in a collaborative manner – building a more robust, reliable and automated platform which can cope with scaling up to meet the ever increasing demand. Our infrastructure is handling billions of requests per month (and growing). We’re massive fans and advocates of Lean and the DevOps movement, and are in the middle of a platform improvement programme – moving our key infrastructure to AWS and Google Cloud Platform; monitoring, measuring and iterating as we go.
You believe systems and infrastructure development involves a lot more than just computers, configs and code. You see it as your remit to really understand our domain so we can all deliver as much value to the business as possible. When you do build something you believe it has to be done really well. To you, quality (both internal and external) really matters. These are things we really care about.
You are a fan of continuous improvement and see high availability of high demand, distributed systems as an area ripe to demonstrate your experience. You love Linux but also see how Windows can inter-operate sanely.
You will have spent some time using cloud computing and see it as an extension of toolset. You appreciate the differences between “using someone else’s computers” and co-located data centers, and are comfortable moving between the two options.
Technology You’ll Get To Use
We’re pretty technology agnostic and are looking for people who aren’t religious about one platform or another, but more interested in being given the opportunity to solve interesting problems with other smart, passionate people. The work opportunities are broad:
- We manage own hardware and we have a lot of it (500-ish units) with our own virtualised environments.
- We’re also deploying apps on Elastic Beanstalk and Google Container Engine with Docker, and have apps running CloudFormation defined EC2 set ups
- We have data separated nicely through Kafka, stored in Postgres, SQL Server, Big Query and S3.
- We extend our applications into our CDN using VCL
- We have many sophisticated products and applications and are making good use of technologies like Varnish, Nginx and HAProxy within them (rather than coding our way out of every challenge).
- We’re big fans of companies like Etsy and Netflix and also want to view things from a “full-stack” perspective with tight collaboration between developers and operations people to achieve this goal. Automation of infrastructure and systems is part of our daily practice, and we’re pioneering test-driven infrastructure within our teams too.
Here’s the obligatory tick-list of technology names – you don’t have to have experience in all of them, and you may not get to see some of them
- OS: Debian Linux, Windows Server 2012/2008R2, Windows Server Core
- Web Ops: Nginx, IIS, Varnish, Git, Jenkins, Team City, Chef and CFEngine
- Hardware: Dell, Cisco, Juniper
- Cloud: EC2, GCE, EBS, ELB, GCS, S3, AppEngine,
- Monitoring: Zabbix, New Relic, Logstash, Kibana, Graphite, StatsD, Datadog, Catchpoint
- Data Stores: SQL Server, Postgres, Mongodb, ElasticSearch, Solr
- Other important tech: HAProxy, Debian Package Management, KVM, ASP.NET, Google Apps, PowerDNS, Rack Monkey
About the Job Day to Day
Day-to-day, this job will involve working in a highly collaborative manner with everyone in the organisation, particularly our other technology team members. You’ll be improving the way we collaborate and get things done. A mixture of working with other teams on AWS and GCP infrastructure and operations, looking after our large storage systems and virtualised data centre environment, while also making occasional visits to our data centres to do things we can’t do remotely. We manage work through a prioritsed backlog of tasks with rotation onto a Point of Contact role to cover reactive and unplanned jobs – we try and minimise chaos so there’s always a good purpose for you doing what you’re doing.
There’s a sane, paid (and voluntary) out-of-hours on-call rota (for emergencies only). This job does not involve IT Support; we already have people who are great at that.